Are your drinking habits putting your life at risk? (Infographic)

Are your drinking habits putting your life at risk?

July 14, 2014—One out of every 10 deaths of adults ages 20 to 64 is because of excessive alcohol use, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

That averages out to about 88,000 deaths every year from 2006 to 2010, the time period covered in the report.

Most of the deaths—56 percent—were due to sudden causes like motor vehicle crashes, non-alcohol poisonings, suicide, homicide and falls. The remaining 44 percent were due to chronic illnesses, such as liver disease, cirrhosis, alcohol abuse and dependence, stroke and high blood pressure.

Breast cancer was one of the top alcohol-related causes of death for women. Liver cancer was among the leading causes for men.

Excessive drinking is No. 4 on the list of the top five preventable causes of death in the United States, according to the report. Excessive drinking includes both heavy drinking and binge drinking—or drinking a lot of alcohol in one sitting. People who binge drink usually become inebriated quickly, which makes binge drinking especially dangerous to health.

More than 90 percent of people who drink too much engage in binge drinking, according to the report.

How does CDC define excessive drinking or binge drinking? Check out the infographic below to find out.

View the infographic View the infographic

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *