Employer based wellness clinics are gaining in popularity in Yakima. They’re convenient for employees and helping curb health care costs. Learn more from Tanny Davenport, MD with the Healthy You clinic at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital and Matt Kollman from Memorial Physicians.
What is an employer based health clinic?
- It’s just what the name implies. It’s a clinic that’s located at the work site where employees can receive wellness and medical services. The focus and scope of services vary from employer to employer.
- Employer based clinics are not new. In years past, they have focused on occupational health – treating workplace injuries.
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act includes provisions that may encourage more employers to offer wellness programs.
- These clinics are intended to enhance an employees’ primary care clinic.
- They are convenient for employees, boost productivity, contain rising medical costs for employers and enhance a company’s reputation as an employer of choice.
How many exist in Yakima?
- Some of the largest private and public employers in Yakima offer these clinics to their employees. Memorial Physicians contracts with a company to provide physicians and nurse practitioners at Shields Bag and Printing and the City of Yakima.
- Memorial opened its wellness clinic late last year. It’s called Healthy You. It’s located across the street from the hospital in the West Pavilion One medical building.
- It’s an added benefit for Memorial employees. Employees can make same day appointments. There are no co-pays, deductibles or fees for our employees.
Where do cost savings come in?
- There are short and long term benefits.
- Short term – employers have greater control over direct medical costs such as reducing trips to the emergency department and avoiding hospitalizations.
- In the long run – wellness clinics can help employees manage chronic health conditions; improve their access to and the quality of health care they receive.