The American Cancer Society (ACS) has held the Great American Smokeout on the third Thursday of November each year since 1977.
The Smokeout is a time when the ACS encourages smokers to try quitting for one day.
Whether you quit smoking for the Smokeout or on another day, the links below can lead you to information that will help you become a nonsmoker.
Before you quit
- Learn how quitting can improve your life and health.
- Make a plan for quitting.
- Seek support.
- Consider nicotine replacement therapy.
After you quit
- Making it through the first day.
- Freeing your mind from the smoking habit.
- Avoiding weight gain.
- Overcoming a relapse.