Tick season has started early this year due to a mild winter. Here are some tips to protect yourself and your family.
- Keep grass short in yards and don’t go into overgrown areas.
- Wear long clothing to prevent ticks from accessing your skin.
- After spending time outdoors, thoroughly check yourself, your children and your pets for ticks.
- Stay on trails when you hike. If you leave the path, wear long pants tucked into your socks.
- If you find ticks, remove them immediately. Pinch the tick near its mouth and pull it out slowly in a continuous motion. Don’t twist the tick because doing so may leave mouth parts embedded in the skin.
For more information, visit http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_124373.html